Spinach is one of my favorite green vegetable. This recipe of making the spinach dip is very easy and delicious. It can be enjoyed with white rice, all kinds of breads and also just used as a dip for chips or veges or finger foods.
1 pound of fresh washed spinach leaves
1 medium red onion sliced
1 green chili or serrano pepper or 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder according to your taste
1 big tomato sliced
4 cloves of garlic sliced
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon of tamarind paste or juice of 1/2 lemon. salt to taste
1/2 cup of olive oil or sesame oil or any other cooking oil
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a shallow pan. Add the sliced onions, green chili and garlic with some salt and saute them till you get their delicious smell.
2. Now add the sliced tomato and saute till they blend with the onions. If you are using chili powder instead of green chili you can now add the powder.
3. Add the cumin powder and stir the mixture and when you see oil on the top add the spinach leaves and tamarind paste and remove the pan from heat.
4. Mix everything with the spinach and slowly the spinach leaves start to wilt in the heat.
5. Allow the mixture to cool and then put it in a blender with the remaining oil and make it into a smooth paste.
6. Enjoy with cooked rice, bread, or vegetables as a dip !