Since I started my keto diet a year ago, I have been researching and experimenting with zero carb, low carb recipes, trying to make them delicious and healthy. In my search I found Xanthan Gum, a great, safe food additive that acts as an emulsifier and thickener.
It is a white powder made by the fermentation of glucose and sucrose.
It acts as an emulsifier and thickener. It is used in making gluten free baked goods.
It gives stickiness to the dough and hence used in making bread with different kinds of gluten free flour. Xanthan gum works brilliantly with hot or cold liquids.
It has multiple other uses also. These are the many ways I tried using xanthan gum with excellent results:
Use in salad dressing:
When you use xanthan gum in salad dressings, oil and vinegar will not separate. You can make healthy, sugar free dressings just with lemon, olive oil, pepper and salt with a pinch of Xanthan gum and blend them in the blender for a minute, you get a rich thick salad dressing. I use ½ cup lemon juice, ½ cup oil, pepper and salt and ½ teaspoon xanthan gum. This is a perfectly blended salad dressing, it will not precipitate or separate and you can keep it indefinitely in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Use in deep-fat frying:
An effective way to minimise the oil absorption during deep-fat frying is to add xanthan gum to the coating system.
I used it to fry fish. After I marinated the fish with salt and pepper, I dipped it in a bowl of beaten eggs and then coated it with a mixture of dry coconut flour or besan with a ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum powder.
Used in making smooth puddings and custard:
I made a creamy delicious strawberry mousse with xanthan gum. I used a pound of strawberries, a cup of thick cream, ⅓ cup sweetener, ½ teaspoon xanthan gum.
1. Clean cut and blend strawberries with the sweetener into a smooth pulp.
2. Pour half of it to a glass bowl in which you want to set your mousse.
4. Keep aside the other half.
5. Now pour the heavy cream and xanthan gum into the blender and blend till you get a smooth thick cream add the other half of the strawberry pulp and give it just a small quick blend and pour this thick cream on to the bowl of strawberry pulp gently.
6. Set in the fridge for an hour and enjoy!
Used in making chewy cookies:
Try this delicious chewy chocolate chip cookie.
½ cup Melted butter
⅓ cup Sweetener ( can be any low calorie sweetener of your preference. I used xylitol)
1 ½ cup blanched almond flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
¼ cup of unsweetened chocolate chips
1. In a bowl add butter, sugar, blend with an electric mixer, then add egg, vanilla, baking powder and blend, then add almond flour and xanthan gum to the mixture and blend everything together to form a thick dough.
2. Then add 1/4 cup unsweetened chocolate chips to the dough and mix with a spatula.
3. Now make the dough into balls and gently flatten it and place on a cookie sheet to bake.
4. Place the cookie sheet in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 23 -25 minutes.
5. Enjoy your delicious chewy chocolate chip cookie!
Used in making excellent latte:
You can add a pinch of xanthan gum to your coffee or tea with some coconut milk and zero calorie sweetener, you get excellent latte hot or cold.
I have yet to try making bread, I will share my recipe after I try making some bread with almond flour/coconut flour and xanthan gum.
Research studies say that Xanthan gum also has a laxative effect. It is known to act as a prebiotic and encourage the growth of good healthy bacteria in the gut. And I also experienced its wonderful laxative effects.
Experiment with xanthan gum especially if you are on a low carb diet. You do not need to deprive yourself of your favorite food, you just need to make small adjustments.
Enjoy and have fun!
© PRajkumar, 2020