Asparagus is a delicate tasty vegetable. It has high fiber content, and richly packed with nutrients like vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6, as well as folate, iron, copper, calcium,and protein. Plus, it’s a rich source of antioxidants. It is also a low calorie vegetable, This simple recipe goes well with rice, quinoa, and all kinds of breads.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder or 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Clean and cut asparagus. Remove an inch of the stalk behind then thinly slice the vegetable leaving the head whole.
- Chop red onions into small pieces.
- Heat a shallow pan, add oil and when oil is heated add the mustard seeds ( it is optional) when the seeds pop add the cut red onions and saute with salt till they become soft.
- Add the red chili powder and saute, now add the asparagus. Cook with half closed lid for just 3 -5 minutes.
- Remove from heat enjoy with rice, quinoa or bread